Dostinex having generic Cabergoline is an ergot medicine, which is dopamine receptor agonist.
Dostinex inhibits the release of prolactin from pituitary gland and treat disorders associated with high levels of prolactin release which can cause hormonal imbalance.
- In women high level of prolactin can lead to unwanted breast milk, missed periods and difficult in conceiving.
- In men, it will lead to enlarged breast and decreased sexual need.
How Dostinex works?
Dostinex works by direct stimulation of D2 dopamine receptors and blocking the release of prolactin from pituitary gland.
Who should not take Dostinex?
- If you are allergic to any ergot medicine.
- If your high blood pressure is uncontrollable.
- If you have any heart related history or breathing problems.
What are the drug interactions of Dostinex?
- Macrolide - Erythromycin
- Butyrophenons - Haloperidol
- Thioxanthenes - Thiothixene
- Phenothiazines- chlorpromazine
- Triptans -sumatriptan
What should be done in case of doses if- Dostinex should be taken orally with or without food. The initial recommended dose of Dostinex is 0.25mg two times in a day for 2 weeks. After 4 weeks, you should gradually increase the dose up to 1mg.
Consult your physician in case you missed your dose but do not double the dose.
Nasal congestion, hallucinations, fainting is the major overdose indications of Dostinex.
What are the storage conditions for Dostinex?
Keep the medicine in a tightly closed container at room temperature away from light, heat and moisture.
What are the side effects of Dostinex?
- Allergic reactions such as itching, rashes.
- Difficult breathing.
- Chest pain, back pain.
- Change in vision
- Painful menses, breast pain.
- Constipation, nausea, vomiting, dizziness.
What safety measures should be taken while consuming Dostinex?
- You will feel dizzy after taking Dostinex, so avoid driving or any other activity that requires alertness.
- Take extra care while taking Dostinex if you are pregnant or planning to get or you are a nursing mother.
- Avoid taking Dostinex with alcohol as it causes drowsiness.