Norethindrone is recommended to treat endometriosis, painful and heavy periods. Apart from this, it is mainly prescribed to prevent pregnancy in women. Norethindrone works by preventing the release of an egg from the ovary during ovulation process.
Norethindrone creates vaginal fluid thicker, which assists the sperm from reaching an egg and avoids the process of fertilization. It also alters the uterine lining of womb, so that the fertilized egg cannot fix with it. Therefore, it prevents pregnancy in a successful way.
When Norethindrone should not be prescribed?
- Females with hypersensitivity towards generic Norethindrone, high blood pressure, kidney, liver dysfunction, ovarian cysts, diabetes, blood related disorders like anemia, leukemia and sickle cell anemia.
- Girls under the age of 17 years
What drugs interact with Norethindrone Acetate?
- Barbiturates, Carbamazepine, Nelfinavir, Nevirapine , Ritonavir and Propranolol
What is the prescribed intake of Norethindrone?
Take Norethidnrone tablet via oral route along with the sufficient quantity of water. Norethindrone should be taken one time in day at the same time on a daily basis basis. You should take this medicine until the pack is not finished and after finished the pack, initiate again with new pack. This therapy should be taken at same time without missing a dose.
What to do in case of overdose of Norethindrone Acetate?
If you have taken overdose of Norethindrone by oversight then contact with your gynecologist and get medical help.
What are side effects of Norethindrone?
- Severe headache, breast tenderness, nausea, unusual sweating, lack of coordination, weakness and missed periods.
What are the safety measures of Norethindrone?
- Females who are pregnant or planning to become a pregnant they should not get this drug.
- Norethindrone can cause suntan, so use sunscreen cream or lotion after taking this medication.
- Breastfeeding mothers should not get this drug as it can harm your baby.
- Avoid the ingestion of alcohol and smoking while using this drug.